League Secretary Duties and Responsibilities
MEMBERSHIP CARDS, AVERAGES and AWARDS
The secretary has many important responsibilities, which are outlined fully in the USBC Playing Rules. Below are just some of highlighted duties for membership, averages and awards. Note: In leagues using computer and/or average service, the elected secretary still remains responsible for all the duties specified in USBC Rule 102e.
- The league application form must be submitted within 30 days from the start of the league. Make sure the President signs the form and fill out the bonding amount if you want your league to be covered.
- Include Membership card applications and applicable fees (league secretary or bowling center check only) for all league members with the league certification form.
- Subsequent membership card applications must be filled out as they join and collect completed cards and membership due SUBS INCLUDED!
- Check the application cards as they are returned to you. It is easier to find errors and have them corrected rather than to submit incomplete information, which could cause a delay in the member receiving their card.
- If bowlers indicate paid in another league on the membership card, ask for a receipt, if no receipt collect the fees, they can be refunded upon proof of previous payment.
- Have the bowlers carefully complete their home address with apartment number if applicable, USBC membership ID if it does not already appear on the card and e-mail address.
- Complete the DUES WORKSHEET with each submittal of cards. Be sure to separate cards as paid cards; Paid other league (POL) cards; Transfers, etc.
NOTE: Any team using a player who has not paid appropriate membership dues subjects the games in which the bowler participated to forfeiture.
Submit all award applications within 20 days of the accomplishment. Award presentations should take place before the entire league and as soon as possible after the feat is accomplished and the award is available. A long delay, such as waiting for the league’s season-ending banquet, can reduce bowlers’ excitement about earning awards and their appreciation of their membership benefits. It may also affect the inventory of awards at the bowling office.
Furnish a list of individual averages to the local association manager within 15 days of the end of the league. The list must show the full names and ID numbers of all bowlers who competed in the league, the number of games bowled, total pinfall and average for each bowler. This is how averages upload to BOWL.com. Averages must include all roll-off, playoff and sweeper games unless league certification specifies that the last week of bowling is NOT certified.
LEAGUE SECRETARY TOOLS
- SUMMER PACKET COVER LETTER – 2020-21 Season
- LEAGUE CERTIFICATION FORM – This form must be completed before the start of each new league (winter and summer). Send application to SLAC USBC office within 30 days of first league session. If the pdf file is submitted, we will issue the certification #.
- BASIC LEAGUE INFORMATION FLYER – League must be 8 to 16 weeks to earn a USBC Certified average. Membership price is only $12, but there are limitations. Please read the flyer to be informed.
- SLAC USBC DUES WORKSHEET – Please submit this form with each batch of membership card payment. Please separate and sort your membership cards into paid cards, paid other league cards (POL), transfer cards, etc.
- END OF SEASON AWARD FORM – We offer awards for your league champions, league high average/game/series and most improved. If you haven’t already filed this form with the office, please complete and turn in by NOVEMBER 30.
- AWARD FORMS – Submit award forms for your bowlers. Each season we provide special awards for bowling achievements. Award forms need to be submitted within 20 days from the date bowled.
- JOIN USBC! Download this flyer to help explain to those interested in buying USBC membership.
- LEAGUE SECRETARY DUTIES, LEAGUE PRES/VP/SA DUTIES, TEAM CAPTAINS DUTIES, YOUTH LEAGUE OFFICIALS
- LEAGUE QUICK START CHECKLIST
- LEAGUE OPERATIONS HANDBOOK
Keystone Lanes League Secretaries:
If you have not already filed this award form with the office, please fill it out as soon as possible. The local award applications are automated weekly from Keystone to our office. Please let me know if your league is fine with everyone getting awards or send me a list of the bowlers in your league that DO NOT want these awards. We will wait on processing any further local awards until this form is filed with our office. Note: Honor awards (300 games/800 series) are completely different and we will process those as soon as we receive them. Thank you for your help in this matter.
KEYSTONE AWARD FORM – File one time with our office.
The United States Bowling Congress (USBC) has been creating assets since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic in March to help support leagues, bowling centers, associations and members in order to return to bowling in a safe and responsible way. With the 2020-2021 league season underway, we wanted to highlight these resources to help everyone get back to bowling and feel safe on the lanes.
Starting leagues in a COVID-19 world
This PPT is filled with thoughts and ideas for associations and league officials to consider in partnering with their centers to assist flooring leagues.
Checklist for league kickoff during COVID-19
A one-sheet checklist for your association with ideas of how your association can assist your leagues and centers to start leagues.
FAQ to assist leagues, tournaments and state and local associations
This FAQ from the USBC Rules department provides guidance to the most pressing issues for leagues, tournaments and association annual meeting information.
Rules changes for the 2020-2021 season
A quick summary of the rule changes for the new season, likely the most pressing for league officers.
USBC RULES UPDATES REGARDING COVID-19
The USBC Board of Directors approved waivers and modifications to USBC Playing Rules to allow certified leagues and tournaments more flexibility to return to bowling while adhering to guidelines related to COVID-19.
- Click HERE to read the news release on the modified USBC rules.
- Click HERE for Frequently Asked Questions about the reopening of leagues and tournaments.
ADDITIONAL RULES INFORMATION ON COVID-19
- Click HERE for the May edition of Rules Extra that discusses adjusting the prize list and the financial responsibilities of league officers.
- Click HERE for the special Rules Extra and Tournament Flyer discussing leagues and tournaments amid concerns about COVID-19
- Click HERE for the Tournament Flyer that discusses a tournament’s decision to postpone or cancel operations.
- Click HERE for Frequently Asked Questions to assist leagues, tournaments and state and local associations
- Click HERE for complete USBC news and information related to the COVID-19 pandemic.